Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Purpose of this Blog (Part One)



There can be no doubt that many of those who run Christian blogs do so because they want to share their personal stories of faith with others. Other bloggers want to tell their readers what they believe the Christian view on various political topics actually is.

I created this blog a few weeks ago for a different reason- many Christians actually know very little about the early history of their faith.




 I became increasingly interested in early Christianity toward the end of 2012 and began really doing research into the subject in 2013. I had always loved history, so learning about the history of my religion only seemed natural.

However, I was surprised to discover that many things Christians (and non-Christians) had heard and said about the faith were either untrue or greatly exaggerated.

Allow me to explain. As I wrote in previous posts, it is a common misconception that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute who repented with Jesus' forgiveness. Evidence from the Bible itself shows that Mary was NOT a prostitute.

Another common claim made by Christians and non-Christians is that the Roman Emperor Constantine I made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire. That is a bogus claim.

Constantine ordered religious tolerance toward Christians and members of all other religions with the passage of the Edict of Milan in the year 313. Constantine would go on by the year 324 AD to openly "favor" Christianity, but he never made Christianity the official religion. He simply did things that showed his preference for the Christian God

Christianity would not be made the official religion until 380 by the corrupt Emperor Theodosius. This happened over 40 years after Constantine's death. To say Constantine essentially forced everyone to become Christians is simply ridiculous.

Many other examples of these misconceptions can be found in my previous blog posts. I will address other misconceptions in future posts as well.

Why do these types of things matter? I will explain in the next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment